Sunday, April 14, 2013

The start of tulips

Today was sunny.  But still windy.  Looking for appropriate flowers for the gardens. We have one garden that has terrible soil despite anything added to fix it.  Kills everything.  So it's a real trouble spot.  I've threatened with plastic flowers.

So, my tulips are turning out well.  Let me show you how I handled the tutorial, which can be found on the website  This tutorial was provided by Brenda Shahzada.  I waited to mention the tutorial until I knew how well it worked because I changed it somewhat.   

This starts with a plain large coffee filter.  Painted dark green on both sides and used for the leaves.

Then the other half of the filter gets painted your tulip color. I chose red and again painted both sides.

 When completely dry, I punched and punched and punched...well, you get the idea.  I put them in a container because I almost breathed them off the table.

Then I cut the stems into approximately 2-inch pieces.

Although you can't see me actually doing the work, this is to show you I really do work!  LOL

I put the first petal around the stem and stuck them in Styrofoam to dry.  This is what they looked like.  There are four and one-half dozen at this first stage.

And that was what I did this afternoon.  It did take me some time to finish them all.  I hope to have more to show you tomorrow night.  I would like to make different colors, too.  This tutorial is easy but it is very messy.  Glue. Glue.  Glue.  Ha!
So tomorrow I work.  Let's see how much energy I have left after a day with 7th graders!  They are great kids but they do wear me out. 
Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment